Tuesday, March 23, 2010

BUNNY

Sunday afternoon after working in the garden I went to leave via the west garden gate. My eye caught a little bunny but she did not attempt to move or even move her ears. As I looked I realized that there was a bulge coming from beneath her stomach and that she was laying on newborn babies. Bob came out and took a picture of her, but it was dusk, and didn't turn out well. She was gone the next night, having realized she was discovered. We have enjoyed these little tan bunnies so much since we moved here. We see them on a regular basis, but have never seen babies.

Bob said he saw Scarborough the deer about a month ago, probably pregnant. It is about time according to the plants for her to bring her young by to show them the columbines. I hope I get to see it.

Little by little we are planting things and thinning things, and picking up things that fall or are dead. It is a serious job, but we are dedicated to keep up at it. This past six months we have planted five new trees: one Japanese maple and four vine maples. We have also planted a lot of calla lilies and Stargazer lilies, day lilies and I planted sweet pea seeds that are all blue. We have so many rhododendron bushes that I think I'm going to plant one in my favorite deck pot. They have a small root system, so it should be able to live the pot for a long time.

No comments: