Thursday, July 23, 2009

DOE AND TWINS

I saw a doe and her fawn recently in the yard and watched them for quite some time. Bob came home driving down the drive and the doe moved away a little bit, but not far. We were going out for dinner when he came home, so I went out to the car. The doe had walked a little bit closer, but the fawn wasn't in sight. As we left she sauntered up the driveway ahead of us and over into the neighbor's driveway.

The next time I saw her I saw the fawn first and then...another fawn. Then Mamma dear came up behind them. We call her Scarbourough because she bears a scar on her left shoulder. Last year we saw her with her yearling fawn. She seems to know which plants to eat and when. Our columbines had bloomed beautifully this year. I wanted them to go to seed so I could start some in our back yard. One day I came home and most of the seed heads had been carefully nibbled off. Evidently she has been taught from her mother just when these columbines are richest with seed. Now the fawns are nibbling the columbines to the ground. The hostas have suffered the same fate. I'll be looking for deer proof plants next year.
Cute little fawns with all of their spots and huge ears. They are a much smaller deer than is seen in the Rocky Mountain region.

Mamma deer is gently guarding her babies. She seems quite unafraid of me.


3 comments:

Susan Shaw said...

How very sweet, and what a great experience for you!. It looks like your new home is in a wonderful location.

MKF said...

I was thinking of some of the old sayings like - "There is no great loss without some small gain." as I read your post. The deer are beautiful, how wonderful to see them at your house. To have them consume your plants? - not so much.
maelee

The Farrs said...

Isn't it a blessing to have these experiences?