Sunday, October 12, 2008

MORE FAVORITE THINGS

My sister Lorrie and I recently went on a trip to Montana. Long road trips tend to encourage a lot of nonsensical talk and soon we began reciting some of our favorite things. Fresh blacktop, dark trees against the fading sky, the haze on blueberries, and many other things came up.

For a long time now I have kept a list of favorite things. At first the list began because I wanted to a piece of calligraphy listing my favorite things. Eventually the list became so broad that it couldn't be kept to one work of art, so I just kept adding to the list. At this point it could actually be subdivided into groups such as garden, color, feelings, nature, people, events, etc.

I would encourage everyone to keep a list of favorite things. At some point in one's life that list will become a part of a legacy to leave behind oneself. We are defined by the things we love.

No comments: