Monday, November 21, 2005

Thankful


It is pretty easy to sit back and enjoy the holidays and bask in the warmth of our home, eating a healthy meal and later sipping on a hot cup of tea on a comfortable chair or sofa with the cat snuggled next to me. In fact, it is really easy. But this year when so many people have suffered in so many ways through hurricanes and tsunami's and earthquakes and wars, I feel so thankful for my home and family and for the luxuries of daily living that I have been able to enjoy. That is why this year, I have chosen to ask those who would normally buy me a present, to write out a check to my favorite charity on my behalf, so that others might enjoy a better holiday season.

We all think we "need" something. The truth is that this year what I need is a satisfied mind that I have done something to help others with a true need...a need like food or shelter or clothing or the ability to soothe a young child. Those are needs, the others are just playthings and desires . I'm so very thankful for what I have and I'm thankful to be able to help others. These things are also the seeds that plant art into my life. When my heart is full I can make better art and send on my own heartfelt message to be viewed by others. Art is not always about the paint going onto the canvas or paper. It is about the heart behind the hand that is painting.

No comments: