Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Decision Making


There is a phenomenon in the life of an artist that author Eric Maisel talks about in his book Fearless creating. It is the phenomenon of hesitation, sometimes referred to as procrastination. I remember the first time I read about this that I felt the author was in the room talking to me as I hesitated at my desk. I had walked to the desk to work, and remembered that there was a phone call that I needed to make. I walked away from my art, the thing I love to do, and made the phone call. It could have waited until later, but I made it then. Why had I done a trivial thing instead of an important thing. Because there is fear in the life of art, there is the fear of showing ourselves inside out to others. It takes great courage to say who we are and stand it before others to see. Art has the ability to tell others the reality of life in a nonverbal way that gets to the gut of emotion. And, this is why I took the easy way that day and made the phone call.

Life isn't always an easy decision, a bowl full of cherries. Today I made a phone call, one of the most difficult ones of my adult life, and it was the courageous path. Sometimes it is art, sometimes it is the phone. It is all in the decision making.

No comments: